High style with Flats
And the designers are working hard of imagination to offer us stylish flat shoes…
The pitfall of the Flats
- they can compact the outlook of the silhouette
- they can appear too casual,
- they can appear too masculine.
How to tackle these effects and be stylish with flat shoes:
Compacting the silhouette and look like a Razmoket
- wear your cropped pants above the ankle: it will extend the leg! If you’re short, don’t roll up and prefer the hem or the frayed bottom.
- prefer thin and elegant shoes, rather than thick soles or platforms that can burden the silhouette.
- careful with big buckles on shoes
- wear straight pieces : vertical lines, blazer, trench etc.
Too casual appearance
- break up the casual look by adding graphic accessories: bag with strict lines for example
- wear elegant shoes with chic details
- wear a nice pair of socks with sequins, lurex etc.
- wear your top tucked into your pants or skirt
Too masculine appearance
- guide your style with some feminine pieces: camisole, neckline, printed or lace blouse, tights with feathers or lace etc.
- wear girly, powdery or pastel colors.
- mark your waist with a belt with a round or oval buckle
- wear a skirt or short dress that will be softened by flat and masculine shoes.
- choose shoes with feminine details: pearls, ribbons, rhinestones, sequins etc.
- if the toes are visible, take care of your nail polish!
The different version of Flats
- Tropezian sandals
- Converse and tennis shoes
- Derbies & richelieu
- Chelsea boots
- Flat boots
- Flat knee high boots
- Thigh- high boots
How to wear them
Mocassins, ballerinas, mules
Another possibility, wear them with a culotte skirt and a belted blazer for a retro and chic look!
Flip-flops and sandals
We’re talking about either the massive and masculine Birkenstock or the more elegant Hermès…
Add a bit of denim for the cool touch.
If they are Birkenstocks, be sure to add feminine pieces to your outfit.
The Hermes work very well in vintage looks too, with flare jeans for example!
They will be perfect to compose a bohemian outfit for a feminine and stylish result.
You can also choose them with laces for a more feminine side (but be careful it can compact the silhouette outlook).
The sneakers are definitely the must have to be stylish with flat shoes!
You can wear them with casual outfits but also with dressy outfits for a casual-chic style.
They go with everything! For a asserted style, use them to offset your pieces: masculine pants and blazer, printed long dress, jeans and trench, pleated midi skirt, mini skirt etc.
Converse and tennis
For the elegant touch, think of adding feminine pieces in your outfit: silk, lace, anglaise embroidery etc.
Derbies & richelieu, chelsea boots, flat boots
The length below the knee or midi for skirt can be tricky, best is to prefer maxi long dress or skirt which counter the compacting effect that the first ones can create.
Flat knee high boots
Go over the top by taking care of the accessories to get a classic but very asserted look!
Or, shift them like Jennifer Aniston, by including them in a rather rock look!
Caution on the below-the-knee length skirt or short that can be pack the silhouette.
Shall we chat ?
What are your favorite flat shoes? How do you style them? If you have the time, I would really like you to tell me about?
As far as I’m concerned, I used to swear by the heels so much that I can say I wore ONLY those. But, as the French would say, only the stupids don t change their mind, since a few years, I stop sacrificing mega comfort and subscribes more than willingly to Flat shoes (even more happily than to heels) whatever kind they are. And the good news is that they exudes of stylishness!
Have a Wonderfull day
*These are images for which the sources could not be identified on Pinterest.
Header picture credit: